Thursday, November 5, 2009

that's BS: tip #1 and #2

I've decided to share some things I've learned on getting the most out of my personal Bible study. I call this series "That's BS" (not to be confused with the other acronym with the same letters). Here's the first installment.

Tip #1: On your knees.

Prayer. It's the most obvious first step but I believe it's the most overlooked as well. How many times have we gone straight to the Word without getting down on our knees first? You need to start with prayer to get the blood flowing and to get the Spirit working. Remember, this is the time when God teaches you. So pray that He will do just that.

Tip #2: Get a new pair of eyes.

Approach any passage as if you're reading it for the first time. It's all too easy to say, "Oh, I've read this before. I know the lesson here." And when you do that, that's the time you put a brick wall in front of the opportunity to be taught something new from the passage. Come with a willing heart, an open mind, and a fresh pair of eyes. And I bet you'll see things you didn't notice before.

No comments:

Post a Comment