Wednesday, November 4, 2009

coca-loca

I find this Coca-Cola commercial hilarious especially because I'm in this line of work.


Now NOTE: Priests who have taken the vow of celibacy cannot get married. But pastors CAN. I just want to make that clear. I don't believe in celibacy--for myself in particular. ;)

I find it interesting that some churches require pastors to be married in order to become the senior pastor. I understand the practical reasons for this--less temptation, marriage counseling, etc. But I hardly believe that the requirement is necessary. In fact, the apostle Paul suggests that "it is good for a man not to marry" (1 Corinthians 7:1 NIV). And so a person doesn't have to marry if he or she doesn't want to. So why require senior pastors to be married when the Bible clearly says that marriage is not necessary? Beats me.

Now Paul also says that if you can't control yourself, it's better for you to get married than to fall into temptation. So in short, if you can't handle it, get married. But if you don't want to, there's no need to pressure yourself. Check out Paul's entire argument in 1 Corinthians 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment